Mon, that is an interesting question because it has NOT been done, or not in a productive way. Of course I know what he likes about school and even know better what he complains about (the mind numbing words of the week, mined numbing arithmetic problems) but I have never asked him what his ideal school situation might be like, what he'd want to change to make school perfect. Though he has mentioned he'd like it to be more often like the gifted enrichment classes we can occasionally drive him to...hmmm. Thought. If he got out of some of the mind numbing homework, we might be able to do more of this.
He does not do too badly at making ties. With girls that is, he very quickly establishes contract with those, both older and younger, but has a much harder time with boys. Well it'll come in useful as a skill some time in the future, I expect. It is the anxiety I'd be afraid of, kicking into full gear as he realizes how many things will be changing. As mentioned above, I think he could not handle preparing for a skip now, whether into 4th grade immediately or into fifth in a year. Put the idea on the back burner, ask for more differentiation and enrichment at his current school, quietly talk to folks at the gifted program about entry options and, if we have to, act fast next summer...

Last edited by Tigerle; 08/03/14 12:55 PM.