I'm asking this question because sometimes I feel overwhelmed by DS7's passions and his behavior.
My DH and I are finding that it's not only DS's intellect that is different- he is just different. Obsessive interests, highly emotional, willing to question out authority or just asking complicated questions all. day. long. I finally suggested that he keep a special notebook for questions so that they didn't get lost- that way, I can use google or a science book to answer.
Currently, he's memorizing the periodic table and has completed most of elementary school math with an average of 45 minutes *per week* of enrichment from me.
In the day to day of our lives, I take DS as he is- I just notice the differences when he becomes "passionately" interested in a topic. At seven, I was running through nature and my husband was playing with star wars action figures- not memorizing the periodic table, or obsessing about weather/science, or reading non fiction for fun.
DS doesn't even fall into the category of PG- I could not imagine. Parents talk about their kids' giftedness and their own- my case is different. Neither my husband or I were identified as gifted-we've done well in life, but speaking only for myself, if I'm gifted it's on the moderate end. Anyway, just needed to get it out. Cheers.