We thought middle kid would go to college in diapers. She refused to be trained, but what was worse, she would not acknowledge that she was wet. She would hold it in all day (8-12 hours), then finally wet herself - wet pants, socks, squishy shoes. When you asked if she wet her pants, she would say "No" and just walk away. She did not care. Promises of treats, big or small, did not help. Neither did attending a daycare where all of the other 3 year olds were potty trained.

She finally agreed to use the potty a week before attending a new school. This school assumed she was trained - after all, she was going into Pre-K 4 (for four year olds). I told her they would kick her out and leave her on the curb if she wasn't trained. It worked. (She still says that when she retires, she'll wear diapers and have a mini fridge next to the couch. She'll have her soda and snacks, and not need to get up from the couch to use the facilities...she is 16.)

For my eldest, training for #2 was difficult. Then, over a long weekend I told her no more kids TV shows or movies until she was trained. She could watch TV, but only CNBC or CNN. Worked like a charm.