My first tip-off that DW's sense of normal child development was somewhat askew came when she matter-of-factly announced that DD would be fully potty trained before her 2nd birthday. I started to object on the grounds that all children develop in their own way and 2 is a pretty ambitious goal, but she cut me off, saying she'd already done it with her nephews, she knew what she was doing, and there will be no excuses.

DW began the process at ~15mos, when she noticed DD hiding behind the couch to mess her diapers. By about 18mos DD was getting very consistent with using the potty, with occasional accidents, when we took a trip to the beach. Upon arrival DD urgently informed us of her need to use the restroom, and DW and I discovered we'd both neglected to bring her toilet seat. Knowing that the public bathrooms would be so unsanitary that you could catch amoebic dysentery just by glancing in their general direction, so holding her up on those seats was not an option, we apologized profusely and gave her permission to use her diaper... against her even more strenuous objections.

She finally yielded to nature, I cleaned her up, and we went on to a lovely day at the beach. DD moved on from the incident almost immediately... or so we thought at the time. We found out later she can hold a grudge, as she willfully refused to have anything to do with the potty for ~3 months after that incident.

And yet, DW's seemingly unreasonable goal was still met, as DD was running around in underwear (and loving it) before her 2nd birthday.