Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by aquinas
Originally Posted by tallulah
I don't think anyone could argue that lawyering and banking are unique skills, but they're [SPAM] highly compensated.

I'll bite. Good, effective, knowledgeable lawyers and bankers are unique and can create substantial economic value. It takes a lot of skill, experience, dedication, and interpersonal skills to turn one of those professions into a successful, long-term career, especially at the international level. Just like with any knowledge-based industry, people at the forefront have to be innovators and effective leaders, and those skills certainly aren't abundant when you've already whittled down the field to folks who:

A) Have (a) relevant degree(s) and knowledge (CAUTION: credentials =/= knowledge!)
B) Are socially adept, particularly in environments filled with hostile personalities
C) Are willing to work 90+ hour weeks for the rest of their lives
I agree with most of what aquinas wrote about law and finance, but one reason to work long hours in these fields in your 20s and 30s is to be able to retire or at least downshift in your 40s. Also, the hours of traders (as opposed to bankers) are usually not that long in my experience. Shortly after the markets close, they go home.

The hours can still be brutal into your 40s and beyond, you just get more control over when you work your (now) 70-80+ hours. But I agree.

What is to give light must endure burning.