I think it's easy to get bogged down in the financial considerations of wealth without taking stock of intangible assets. I'd mention those, too.

As a SAHM, I get to experience all of my son's milestones first-hand. I'm there to shape his character, support him, know him intimately, and enjoy little moments that will never repeat themselves, which would go unnoticed by someone else. That's my treasure, and I have a huge stockpile. Even better, this treasure exhibits increasing marginal utility! (I jest, but almost not quite.)I wouldn't trade the utility DS and I derive from my being at home for many multiples of my opportunity cost, which itself is high. Isn't that a flavour of being rich?

The loss of my income was a significant hit to us financially, but it was a conscious choice and we live comfortably on my husband's professional income. We don't own a car, we don't take vacations, and we live in a small urban loft instead of a large single family home. Instead, we invest heavily in human capital--our own and DS'--and spend a LOT of time together making memories because those are our priorities.

We are human capital and relationship rich. I wouldn't have it any other way but, had DH and I not been high income earners independently, our chosen lifestyle would have been infeasible in our high cost of living city and given our student debts.

We aren't in the 1%, where we'd be if I was in the labour market, but then again I value my son more than a Maserati or a beach house. So am I richer than the 1% because my psychic consumption set expands as compared to my working consumption set, even though I'm well below that percentile financially? I'd say absolutely. Your utility curve might differ.

What is to give light must endure burning.