I agree with MON. I'll add that I think in truly high achieving districts, there are quite a few actual GT kids. Middle kid did not look GT in early elementary. Now in 10th grade, folks know she is smart, but are quite surprised when they see her standardized test scores (we don't advertise them, but travel sports teams "publish" SAT/ACT scores on their websites), when they find out she placed first nationally in a well known exam, etc.

There may be kids like my middle kid. No, she is not PG, but she is a lot brighter than she lets on. There is still very little challenge in school, except perhaps the English/History class where they really focus on each kid's writing (regular meetings with the teachers to review writing and ID areas to work on).

Sure, there are some kids in your GT math that don't belong there. But I sense that a lot of folks who note that they are in high achieving districts but don't see any true GT kids are still in elementary. You may not realize who is GT. Even last year, when my eldest was a HS senior, I didn't recognize a few of the NMFs. The ones who have won national academic awards, who have performed research with professors and have published papers - yeah, I know them. But the kid who said that he likes to fish and play video games in his free time - I never realized how bright that kid is.