Actually, this is a huge accommodation on the part of your school. He didn't pass the test and they offered to let him in anyway and provide tutoring to make sure that he was ready. All I can say is WOW.

We are in a relatively enlightened district and my 5th grader has been accelerated twice (mid-2nd grade and beginning 4th grade) so that he recently finished Algebra I. However, he had to pass everything and then some.

For what it is worth, I don't think that Algebra I in 7th grade would be a problem. The issue is whether your DS is willing to put in the time commitment and be subject to this constraint over the summer. I would not oversell it because it is crucial that he is fully bought in, particularly in the event of difficulties down the road (whether academic or otherwise). While it is huge that the school is offering free tutoring, you may also want to consider whether your DS might prefer to catch up in his own way. I know that were my DS in that type of situation, he would balk at the proposal but he would be perfectly willing to catch up on his own. On the other hand, I also have a DD who clearly could have accelerated a year (into pre-algebra as a 5th grader) but declined partly because she didn't have a passion for math and didn't want to be out of the regular flow with her friends. My point is simply that it is important to listen to your DS and do what he wants. Good luck!

Last edited by Quantum2003; 05/16/14 10:06 AM.