Originally Posted by Wesupportgifted
I don't consider gifted people as having 'social' problems.

As far as I have seen, gifted people work each day on their passions, interests, goals.

They help everyone. They may never ask for help themselves.

They are always busy and productive. They help society with the work they do. They contribute in their own ways, sometimes with charitable contributions and / or volunteer time.
Umm..NO. This isn't the definition I know of for gifted children. And while some might act that way, others do not. Some gifted children have social problems and others are quite social and well adjusted. Some are self motivated and others are not. Some love to help others but not all.

The stereotypical gifted students one sees in the media and books, is a kid who read all the time, wear glasses and/or are physically and socially inept. This is just as inaccurate as your description above.

"Gifted individuals are those who demonstrate outstanding levels of aptitude (defined as an exceptional ability to reason and learn) or competence (documented performance or achievement in top 10% or rarer) in one or more domains. Domains include any structured area of activity with its own symbol system (e.g., mathematics, music, language) and/or set of sensorimotor skills (e.g., painting, dance, sports)."

http://www.nagc.org/whatisgiftedness.aspx

Last edited by bluemagic; 05/11/14 09:58 AM.