Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
...when your heart aches for your child after she tells you, with tears in her eyes, that today her teacher told her to just be quiet and go sit down after she asked the teacher why one of her problems on her worksheet was checked wrong.

I guess self-advocating only works when the adult educator in the situation gives a hoot and I bet DD won't do that again any time soon. Thanks a lot "educator of the year" *sarcasm!*

FWIW - DD did this at the appropriate time (wasn't interrupting the teacher or anything) and I looked at the problem myself and it was a correct answer.

Oh, no, no. I WAS that child, and that teacher would be apologizing to my kid and correcting it! I even had a college professor tell me that he was "tired of carrying me" when I asked for credit on some test questions that had been marked wrong but weren't wrong. Excuse me, I have a 4.0 GPA, and just because I already have an A on this test, that doesn't mean the answers don't matter -- and besides (you might point this out, as well), somebody else in the class might NEED those points to get a passing grade! If the answer key is wrong, it needs to be fixed for everyone, not just me. And, after all, the point of school is to learn the material -- which won't happen if people are marked wrong for correct answers.

/rant off

When your DD9 totally accepts the heat death of the Universe but chooses to still believe in the Easter Bunny.

Hey, they aren't mutually exclusive, you know. smile