I just had a comment about the WJ and Fountas and Pinell. We had the same scenario where DS was at a late third grade level for Broad Reading on the WJ (he was in the fall of first grade when he took it). The Fountas and Pinell assessment put him at a level "L" which is probably late second grade level. But he was tested in the middle of kindergarten on the F&P and we were told Level "O". So what was correct? I still don't know. The teacher put him on the computer to do above-level testing (not MAP but something similar) and he was in the upper 90's percentile for reading (she couldn't remember the exact score. But it was high enough that she seemed to be convinced the teacher that put him at the "L" level couldn't be correct. But with so many different levels given, how does anyone ever figure out what is correct.

DD (age 8) scored 97th percentile on the computerized reading test, which put her at a grade equivalent of 8th grade, meaning her score was the average score of 8th graders. But the Fountas and Pinnell put her at a early 6th grade reading level. I think the two tests measure completely different things. With the F&P the child has to do well with verbally answering questions, explaining answers, etc. And that is not the case with other assessments like the WJ or computerized testing.