I wouldn't worry too much about the teachers meeting to discuss your ds' placement - the fact that they called you and are open about it is a good sign. I expect you can also ask that you be included in the meeting - chances are they will still meet first but if you'd like to be included, request it.

Re the FP vs WJ-III - I would try to meet with the school about this so you can get more info on what each test actually measured etc. You can take research here and other places online beforehand so you have a good idea of what the differences in each test are, but I've always found it most helpful to talk directly to the person who gave the assessment and ask to see what the types of questions on the test were, what type of response was given (oral vs written etc), was it timed, and what did they notice about my child's performance when it was given.

Based on what was posted on your other thread, it's possible your ds might not have been tested on an above-2nd-grade level FP, but I'm not familiar with the FP. That's something you'll want to ask.

The other thing I'd add is - don't be put off if there is a difference in scores that's as much as 2 "grade levels", or if it's different than what your gut feeling is from watching your ds read at home. It may all make sense when you have all the information together. For instance, "4th grade" on the WJ-III doesn't mean a child is ready for 4th grade curriculum, it means that the score your ds got on that particular subtest was the score that is also the mean score for the group of 4th graders in the test norming group. The questions on the WJ-III Achievement tests are all very brief, and so the questions used for the reading comprehension are different than the types of questions that are typically asked on reading comprehension assessments used in classrooms to determine reading placement.

The other thing that I'd recommend trying to get a good understanding of now is what is behind the large difference in GAI vs FSIQ? I took a quick peak at your previous post and in that you mentioned that your ds has a low processing speed score relative to other scores. The processing speed subtests are timed and depend heavily on vision, so when you combine that info with your observations that your ds doesn't seem to be achieving as highly as you expect at school in reading - you might want to double-check to see if his vision is ok. There are two aspects to vision to look into - actual eyesight (nearsighted vs 20/20 etc) and how well the eyes work together (convergence, tracking etc). A vision issue *might* explain the discrepancy in FP vs WJ-III scores also if there is some type of vision issue that impacts your ds when he has to read longer passages (FP) vs short sentences (WJ-III).

It does sound like you have good options ahead for your ds!

polarbear