Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Okay-- but also presumably, this child would not be objecting or whining if the level of the teaching/discussion in the class were more commensurate with her potential, either.

The issue is when students who don't really care about the depth of the class, or the intellectual opportunities offered, are there merely to rack up another notch somewhere-- either they care or their parents do-- and they ACTUALLY are most interested in the easiest route to an A.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
That's actually a point of profound agreement in pretty much everyone who has posted in this thread thus far. smile

The problem is that it has become like that.

I understand, but I also think a point of profound agreement in this thread has been that the curriculum should NOT be diluted in order to allow the non-gifted entrance into the courses. From what I've read here, there is simply disagreement on whether the non-gifted should be admitted AT ALL, regardless of whether they can keep up with the class.

I guess I am just more of a nihilist than I ever thought, because I agree more with JonLaw's point of view that the system should be broken down and challenged rather than manipulated by any parent, whether their child is gifted or not. Can one be an idealist and nihilist at the same time? smile