Originally Posted by chris1234
In fact most of the thread that I've read so far is also kind of over the top, to me

Yikes is what I am thinking while reading this thread myself. And perhaps I shouldn't resurrect this thread since it is on the second page, but I am quite appalled at some of the things here.

Only in incredibly rare circumstances will a PG child find a peer set while in elementary or secondary school, even in a large metro area. Exactly how do people think schools should accommodate those kids? A one on one tutor could be provided by the schools, but that doesn't do anything to create the peer group for which so many of you are clamoring. How exactly is the school supposed to create a peer group when those other children just don't exist in that area? Sprinkle fairy dust and *poof* the children magically emerge?

And children shouldn't be allowed to do work that they can and are performing successfully just because it's not on as high a level as what others *could* perform? Should students not be allowed to take a tennis class (even though they can meet at least the minimum requirements for the course) just because they can't play at the level of my son? So we keep kids who are capable of performing the work out because they can't meet some super secret level above the class? Even though we're not really sure where that level is, either, since it will fluctuate constantly depending on whether the students are merely HG or PG? And fluctuate with their interest in school, their interest in the topic, and their motivation to actually work? By all means, don't dilute the curriculum in any way, but anyone, regardless of LOG, who can do the work and wants to do the work should be allowed to do so. This is one of the reasons the charge of elitism comes into play and why there is even support for eliminating the few programs we have.

Unless we are discussing a boarding school for the PG which services children from all over, ANY school will be limited by its student population. What we should be asking of schools is for them to create supportive environments in which PG children (or others who want to pursue subjects beyond the required curriculum) can be encouraged and nurtured by trained professionals. The schools should set the minimum required for passing, but there should never be a ceiling set. On ANY child.

If it matters, I have no idea where my child is on the LOG scale. He has never been properly tested, scores as PHS on the OLSAT or SAT (I forget which because not important), is bored and hates school, and is always described by people as different and a unique thinker. He's had good teachers and bad, ones who tried to help him stretch and challenge, and others who felt doing so would be the end of Childhood as we Know It. But guess what? I know NT children who have had similar experiences with schools and teachers, much of this is not exclusive to the gifted world.