Originally Posted by ColinsMum
Originally Posted by madeinuk
Academia is also a pretty cushy berth once tenure is attained
You're not a tenured academic, are you?
This is a commonly held view outside academia but is disputed within it, not surprisingly:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2014/01/07/the-least-stressful-jobs-of-2014/
The Least Stressful Jobs of 2014
by Susan Adams
Forbes
January 7, 2014

Of the hundreds of stories I’ve posted on Forbes.com, none has generated a greater number of comments than my write-up last year of Careercast.com’s list of least stressful jobs. I started my piece by describing the life of a typical university professor, which CareerCast ranked as the least stressful job in America. I said it was nearly devoid of pressure and full of long breaks from the grind. Professors get vacations at Christmas and over the summer and they don’t spend too many hours in the classroom, I wrote. I based my claims on an interview with CareerCast publisher Tony Lee, a conference with my editor and anecdotal evidence from several tenured professors I happen to know. What I didn’t do was interview dozens of professors to check my claims. The comments wound up doing that for me.

I got such a startling number—569—that I wound up writing an addendum pointing out that many professors find their jobs extremely stressful.