Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Everyone reading this thread would be amazed to discover the percentage of Ivy (and SLAC/Elite) college student offspring of our acquaintances/colleagues who have "chosen" their children's majors in college.

I'm truly not joking. These are children 17-21 years of age in colleges and universities from Brown to Cornell to Princeton whose parents have picked what they will major in. They openly admit that. They are astonished that we are permitting our 14yo to make this choice for herself.

I cannot even wrap my head around dictating such a thing to my daughter.
Who has earned a merit scholarship, right? I'll be more disposed to spend 4*$65K = $260K to get my child a degree in computer science than gender studies. Colleges cannot expect parents to fork over enormous sums of money but then butt out. I understand that forcing a child to major in something that does not interest him is a bad idea both intellectually and career wise. But the intersection of interest and practicality needs to be found.

Agreed-- but this is absolutely not what I'd call "respectful dialogue." Not locally.

My DH and I have both inquired gently to find out-- and the response is an overwhelming "Why would I consult my foolish 17yo about such an important thing. Of course not-- s/he was majoring in ________-- I told him/her so all along-- and that's all there is to it!"

We have pointed out DD's strengths, interests, and weaknesses to her, and told her what WE know about various fields of study... but the decision, ultimately, is hers.

It was certainly mine and my DH's, after all.

Personally, my feeling is that if you feel that the expense is "too much" to allow for the risk, then maybe the expense is simply too much to begin with.

But that's us.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.