Originally Posted by JonLaw
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
It's still communicating, somehow, to the student that s/he can't possibly know what is right for him/herself, and that mummy and daddy had best make the decisions while snookums there goes along for the ride and does as instructed so that 'we' may Avoid Unfortunate Errors of Judgment.

Part of the problem is that it's difficult to achieve a steady stream of protected income sufficient so that you don't end up in effective poverty.

This is why medicine is popular.

I also think this is Wren's point, although Harvard is not actually the solution to this problem.

It's a Second Gilded Age America problem.

First, when you say medicine, are you referring to pharmaceuticals? Because that is a tangential solution.

I know a lot of doctors who are not making a ton of money. The only ones securing wealth are surgeons, one a lung transplant guy that seems to have a lot of wealthy clients around the globe.

I think you can become rich in any profession. I know an electrician who built up an amazing franchise and into some cool opportunities by being creative.

You can be a lawyer who takes legal aid cases or doing investment banking deals. Still a lawyer in either case.

What I want for my kid, is the ability to go after what she wants. I want her to have the tools to work for something and not be afraid of the challenges.