I work at a university and college grads are not able to find jobs (at least not with a bachelor's degree), individuals with technical degrees are being employed at a 4 to 1 ratio over those with college degrees AND make higher salaries (even over a life time). I agree that it has not always been that way but right now it is. I think it is more of a sense of pride thing (my child is at ______ college working on ___ degree) than an actual nuts and bolts thing. OR perhaps society does not realize how worthless (financially) a college degree is quite yet. I would say if universities continue to aspire to a business model as opposed to a tradition academic model (online "universities" have completely changed the landscape)this will continue to be the case and only get worse. For now, I would say unless you just love to learn (and enjoy research) and want to earn a Ph.D. or you are going to major in healthcare, engineering,or technology and some areas of business (but not a general business degree)an undergrad degree simply is not worth the money. I love being in academia but it is not something that I would necessarily choose again in today's economy. Of course I attended state school for undergrad and grad (for free) and did not finish school thousands of dollars in debt.

Last edited by psychland; 04/04/14 04:43 PM.