Originally Posted by SFrog
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Maybe you should have taken up fencing, flint-knapping and the sackbutt or something a few years back...

Since fencing was brought up (in jest) as something good for resume padding - should I tell my daugther not to mention the reason she picked up fencing was so she would have another assassin skill? (My first reaction was to ask - "What do you mean, another...?") She would also like to learn archery - again, not for resume padding, but because arrows are quieter than bullets.

--S.F.

Then your child and mine have something in common. Fencing studio was sadly too far away, and Ninja-school-guy never returned her calls, so she was stuck with marksmanship, but has been also pressing hard on Parkour. grin

Like Wren, we've kept certain things alive on the basis of "I can see how this is a good life-long thing for you, and you can decide to do it or not... later... but for now, we think it's a good idea to spend SOME of your time on it."

But there's a certain flexibility there-- we do NOT continue forcing things year after year if our child behaves like a submissive, frightened dog during that activity... and some of her peers very definitely seem to have that demeanor.

We also set pretty firm limits on the amount of time, and number of things we feel she can successfully juggle. Adding theater this year? No. Not without giving something else up, which she wasn't willing to do. She did do an end run around me on adding another AP class, when the one that she and I had agreed upon turned out to not be available.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.