I didn't read all the pages. But I have read Madeline Levine's Price of Privilege. And one, she talked about letting kids go out and play. I moved to a really safe neighborhood in Toronto. DD takes the school bus 2 blocks away, in front of the local elementary school, to the gifted school. I was trying to give her a little freedom on Tuesdays, when I had a conflict to walk home with a boy in her split class, a grade above, who lived past our place. She enjoyed the independence. About two miles away, but still in the general zone, a mother lost track of her 5 year old in a Target and the girl was sexually assaulted. And the school bus company would not let my daughter off the bus unless I was there, after the incident.
So unless you schedule things, or plan playdates, it is hard to let them just go out and play. Which means you have to be out and about with them. I think finding that compromise without the activities to fill their time, because my kid will watch Disney reruns, is hard. She cannot just go out and play.
Attitude is a different story but I don't have a kid with an IQ of 121. I have a kid that is fully capable of being on Harvard's screen and has legacy. So where does that leave me in terms of being a Tiger Mom?
Shades of grey or gray?