Our school district is starting "Common Core Assessments" or whatever you want to call them. That is if they can get the system up and going. Last I heard the schools were having some issues with this.

This is the first year of this form of testing for us. With this being just basically a test of the test, I told DD to do her best but not to worry too much about it. I did tell her she will need to do A LOT of "explaining", which she despises doing. I told her there should be a "flag" she can use to flag a question she wants to go back to later - that way if she is tired of all the explaining she can do some then go back and finish it up later. I've always told her she can take as much time as she wants with any form of state assessment, but she is more of a "get in there, get it done, and get on with it" kind of girl, so I doubt this new test will be any different.

As for opting out - We thought about it, but our school really plays up the testing with parties, certificates, even a special fieldtrip, etc. If a student scores high enough they get a big recognition celebration with lots of pomp and circumstance. I know she won't get that this year since no results will be sent out, but she could next year and if we opt out this year she wouldn't have any experience with the test for next year. (hope that all makes sense)

There is a practice test online for at least ELA and Math - http://sbac.portal.airast.org/