Yes-- and while I don't live in MacLean, one can quite readily find the same basic ethos at work in pretty much EVERY small college town in America these days.

Everyone in academia has seen faculty brats that have had this kind of thing done to them for at least the past generation-- it's truly a 'thing' for them.

And yeah, there's a LOT of parental ego at work.

Which ironically makes HG+ kids in that cohort even more extremely persona non grata when you get right down to it. We make the Tiger Cubs look bad. We should go away so that they can feel better about themselves.

eek

At least that is the sense that we've always gotten from others living where we do. Parents BRAG about their kids getting into the "GT" program here. They admit (openly, as Val says) that they doctor shop for IQ points, or that they doctor shop for "accommodations" in order for snowflake to "achieve" at that higher level (since here, ID's are usually not IQ based, but achievement based).

Well, sheesh-- NO WONDER my DD's school identified her without ever even bothering to test her into the program. NO. WONDER. So I disagree that teachers and administrators don't know the real thing. They very clearly DO know it when they see it. They've just got a lot greater numbers of not-quite-there parents with torches and pitchforks and their egos in tow, pounding on the gates.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.