This made me think of a friend of mine who is here in the U.S. (she and her husband) on a work visa from India. They've been trying to get green cards for years and had children here. The mom rants and raves about how apathetic parents are here about academics and all people care about is sports. She does a LOT at home in terms of academics and I'm sure I look like a major slacker to her, while other people (like DS's old teacher) would view me as a tiger mother, since I after-school my kids to some extent.
It makes me think of Asians in general and the culture of pushing academics or performance in various activities. Found this article which I thought was interesting. Strangely, the mom complains about the sports culture here, but she has had her DD in gymnastics, swim team, dance, etc. Although she doesn't seem too competitive with any of the sports, the academics seem much more important. I would love to learn more about Asian cultures and the impact the "pushy" parenting has on kids. How is it the same and different from the U.S.?
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ay-pushing-children-too-hard-doesnt-work