That's why though I have one view about what I want for my own child, I have another view about what I want to see for education and social programs in the US.

Agreed.

Being poor and white (in terms of educational disadvantage) may in fact be one of the very worst starting places for any child-- because those children don't even have a lot of "interventions" intended to mitigate the negative impact of their life circumstances, and all too frequently, no "hand up" materializes until college (if then). Increasingly, it simply never materializes at all.

Yes, those children have a huge invisible privilege due to race-- but it also comes with a hefty side of "you're already entitled" and expectations that may be completely unrealistic when they have actually got far more in common with classmates and peers who are low-income and of a minority ethnicity, with little support from their home environments. Everyone ASSUMES that a white child in kindergarten lives in an "enriched" environment, and that's profoundly untrue for some of those children. frown

I've talked about this problem with a friend who is a middle school teacher at a neighboring (and rural/poor) district-- she can't give research assignments because 90% of her students lack basic transportation even to the municipal library-- which won't give them library cards anyway if they live outside of city limits. She estimates that at least 70% of her students (who are about 90% white) lack internet resources at home.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.