Originally Posted by knute974
@HK The use of the word "indecent" in the section you quoted really struck a negative chord for me. How sad that it seems obscene to this author to suggest that society should provide an appropriate education to a kid with exceptional ability.
The word indecent also stood out to me in the context of the article. My initial thoughts, while piecemeal, were something along the lines of: this is attitudinal. The root of the problem is a viewpoint/attitude/perception passed along and seeming to grow stronger each time it is repeated.

To reverse this? If gifted kiddos (including those from families of modest financial means) are not given the message that it is "indecent" to provide curriculum at their challenge level... if they are not given the impression that they are destined to be followers... if they (and their parents) remain dedicated to acquiring knowledge rather than believing erroneously that knowledge/education/intellect is a scarce commodity to be rationed... possibly "the yawning gaps between the test scores of rich and poor students and between different racial groups" may decrease and intrapersonal/interpersonal healing will increase. Possibly it comes down to grouping by readiness and ability, and providing the placement and pacing which support learning for each group.