Mainly our middle school recognizes things that the teachers are involved in...like they take a group of kids to state history fair contest (the step below the national day of history)...because they go and sponsor it and work for months with the kids on the projects they do make the announcements before they go to wish them luck and after they come back to say how proud we were to have them represent our school. Sports same thing. Leadership conferences, academic things, arts are all recognized....if they are something that is done through the school, district, state, region, officially. Usually the teacher sponsor/chaperone takes care of the write ups.

But if it is something the kids goes off and does something independently not associated with the school/school system...no recognition. I mean if a 14 year old got a part in a movie or made an Olympic team sure they would mention it. But my kid goes to swim meets not associated with school (middle school doesn't have a swim team) but with his club team and nobody cares. Some of his teachers inquire about his interest but just randomly.

So my take is if a teacher went with him it is his/her responsibility to write an announcement....if it wasn't school based, unless he was to appear on national tv and they were announcing for everyone to watch him, probably nothing to be expected unless you initiated it right before or after it happens.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary