I need some advice! I have a 17-year-old son that is gifted and I have an 8-year-old daughter that I think might be gifted too. The problem that I have is that she has a 7/27/05 birthday and the age cutoff is 8/1 for kindergarten in our school district. She is right at the cutoff; I almost wished I held her back a year because of her age. Not because she was academically behind. It is just that school can be so competitive for kids. Most of the classmates are 9 months older than my daughter. There is not a day that goes by that another classmate informs her that she is beneath someone�s math or reading level. I try to explain to her that most of the kids are older (almost a year) and it just doesn't matter how well they do. She shouldn't compare herself to them. That rationale just doesn't seem to help.

I would love to have her tested based on her chronological age versus by grade to "level" the playing field. I want to get her tested through the school do you think I have a reasonable request? The only thing I can go off on is her reading level which is at a 6.2 level (my gifted son at 2.9 had a 6.4). We had two terrible years of teachers, one was on Facebook most of the day and the other was right out of school. It is well documented with the school about the two teachers, I feel like we were cheated 2 years of schooling. This year has been much better, what should I do? Advocate at the school for testing or possibly privately have her tested?