Lovedu,

I have been through exactly the same resentment tinged ennui that you are experiencing. To some extent it doesn't go away but you become better able to cope with it. What helped us to get the school to come round was a combination of the Iowa Scale and walking them through material on the dangers of not accelerating.

In our case DD's teachers accepted that she was quick to learn and ahead of her age peers but they had reservations due to 2 main areas of concern:-

What I will call the 'we have to look at the whole child fallacy' this allows administrators to effectively ignore academics and protest that removing a child from their age peers will do irreparable harm. Showing the school the literature showing that evidence overwhelmingly supports the opposite conclusion helped us.

The other objection is based on an apparent fear of an absolute torrent of 'our special snowflake too!' Requests for other parents. Here we introduced the Iowa Scale to the school and persuaded them that in it the have an objective bar that most 'me too' requests will fail to clear while making the point that anyone clearing the bar should be accelerated .

Our DD was accelerated a full year and she is still not learning enough really but her over excitabilities have calmed right down.

My conclusion is that it is unlikely that any school will ever go at the pace that my DD can learn at but the skip has relieved some of the pressure that my DD was feeling for the time being at least.

We are trying AoPS now which she seems to like. It is an after school program but it has rekindled her enjoyment in Maths so it is like play to her - weird as it sounds. Not sure what the future holds...

Become what you are