Are ethics always fact specific and even totally relative to an individual?
Some may say that there are two competing answers to this:
1) Laws are not always just. Laws can be changed by careful examination and discussion of ethical principles, however prickly and uncomfortable some may find honest, open, and respectful conversation on such subjects to be. An obvious example is slavery.
2) Even when just laws, rules, or policies exist, organizations may not follow them or may engage in selective enforcement. Many organizations encourage members to subjugate ethics in favor of being insular to the organization. Whistle-blowers may be commonly regarded as pariah. Intimidation, retaliation, or fear of retaliation may be used to gain compliance, possibly related to concerns expressed here
I find that our district public school constantly shows less than the highest standards, but I have no idea how to get them to see it. I can't give specifics because I am certain there would be consequences to our still young gifted student.

What should our code of ethics for public schools be?
Some individuals may follow the ethics distilled from a religious or moral code, as they understand or interpret them. Some may pick-and-choose, selectively embodying a mix of beliefs or tenents of their faith "cafeteria-style". Some may follow a set of ethics which they believe empower them to eliminate individuals, cultures, or societies with other beliefs. When does acting on one's beliefs trample the rights of others?

Because the Constitution of the United States is the highest law of the land, and that which even Presidents swear to uphold, when teaching of ethics to a diverse population in USA, public schools may wish to uphold the Constitution.