I am now feeling like I set up my DD9 (January) for failure by accelerating her and having her take the EXPLORE test. She was really slow and only answered 2/3 of the questions in each section averagely with maybe 3/4 on the science.

As a 3rd grader she would have shone brightly but as a 4th grader she is middle of the pack (slightly below in Maths) which does not reflect her abilities at all ( except that she needs to work on her exam technique). She is already a DYS so it isn't as though she needs the scores for anything. BUT the EXPLORE being taken away does mean that she will never get the chance to do better on this and what we were looking for was really something with which to measure progress over over time.

Several here seem way more tuned in/connected than I so I am wondering what the consensus here is on the future of out of level testing for gifted kids. How does the MAP or the SCAT compare, for instance?

I am really concerned that my DD is not learning anything at school despite the skip and the after schooling is cutting into what is potentially developmentally critical (no pun intended) unstructured play time. A good out of level test would help us to better quantify where she is currently and will allow us to monitor this over time.

I cannot be the only one on this board having these concerns so posting here so that we can discuss and chew on the viable alternatives...

Last edited by madeinuk; 03/06/14 04:39 AM.

Become what you are