I know we're very guilty of neglecting DD3.5's math talent, relatively speaking.

I go way out of my way to support her literacy development. I spend hours and hours hunting for just the right books.

Math is a different story. Her intense interest in it scared me. I was starting to think John Nash, not that I assumed she's be a great mathematician one day but the level of intensity was a bit pathological. My guess is that her preferred mode for thinking is visual/spatial/numbers and it gave her comfort to be thinking in numbers and it probably still does.

Her other talent that stands out is music (not surprising given her love of patterns - not normal patterns but she seems to find orders in chaos) and we were thrilled to get her started with music lessons. We bought her instruments and hired a private teacher.

Math? Ah, we're leaving it up to her to figure things out on her own. She's doing a pretty good job and why fix things when they aren't broken, right?

I've been asking myself if I'd be this anti-math instruction/curriculum if we had a boy instead. I'd like to believe that nothing would change but maybe I'm in denial about my own gender bias.