Originally Posted by Dbat
Too bad there aren't "Chinese Math" schools or something like that in the U.S.--it might prompt other schools to allow more acceleration, too.

Does this fill that quota? http://www.prismsus.org/ I don't know much about it, but seems pretty neat. Princeton, NJ is full of really excellent (albeit expensive) schools.

Having a little math head myself, I certainly have evidence that math can be learned at a young age - DS3 has become a little mental calculator of late, multi-digit addition/subtraction, and even (to a less extent) mult/div IN HIS HEAD. So clearly on paper it's pretty darn easy for him. I swear the kid can mentally calculate faster than I can. The concept of algebra just seems to make sense to him (at least, the beginning stuff. he blew through dragonbox months ago). honestly, all of it just seems to make sense to him. it's eerie really. His brain is clearly hard-wired for calculations. We discovered he could skip-count pretty much every number to 100 so early on...2.5ish maybe? and we still don't know how he 'learned' that. So, for at least some kids, the ability is in there. Honestly, I think if we sat with him and did legitimate math, every day ...I can't even imagine what the little brain could do. (normally we just follow his lead, whenever he WANTS to sit and do math, we will, but otherwise, it's mostly via conservations....especially in the car)

The concepts are just there, as is the interest. It's pretty awesome to watch.