I share your concern. It is important for parents/guardians to have data and information to track their children's academic growth. This best positions them to coach their child, partner with the school, or independently address at home any potential underlying issues, such as vision, hearing, potential LD, need for remediation/tutoring, experimenting with a different learning style, or need for greater academic challenge.

Interested parents may wish to check the website of the test company. STAR assessments are from Renaissance Learning (Renlearn.com). There is a parent's resource tab. The downloadable resource states
How will I know how my child is doing? Please ask your child’s teacher for the results from any of the STAR assessments. Teachers can run a Parent Report for any of the STAR tests. Often teachers may share this information during a parent/teacher conference.
Sample reports, and a book selection website are also shared.

As a concerned parent, you may wish to check your school or district website to see if there is any information to manage your expectations about how frequently parents/guardians may receive pupil records, assessment results, progress reports, etc.

You may also wish to check online to see what rules may be in place in your State regarding a pupil's education records.

With the recent introduction of longitudinal data collection and student information systems, policies and laws may need to be developed regarding the handling of the many data points which may be collected.

If you do not find policies or laws in place which list each piece of data collected and recognize the rights of parents/guardians to have access to review and correct each piece of information, you may wish to consider contacting a local school board member and/or state legislator who may be able to introduce such a policy or bill. Some possible reasons to include in an impact statement may be: fostering parental involvement, student support, and home-school partnership.

In an educational system focused on benefitting the child, parents need to be fully informed with "primary source" data, not merely a summary of it.

Last edited by indigo; 12/29/13 02:43 PM. Reason: added paragraph about parent resources by RenLearn