Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Originally Posted by puffin
Common standards are good I feel. The problem is that when they are measured by testing and the results are reported etc kids get taught only what is in the test. That has obvious problems.

Also the whole point of having teachers is they can adjust and re-explain in a way that works for each kid. This doesn't work with a script (i thought you had teachers'unions?) or if the teacher is rigid and unsympathetic.

Like i said on another thread if you are going to give the teachers a script and not let them deviate from it you don't need trained teachers. It is hugely insulting to them to suggest they use such a script and i am not surprised if the ones that can afford it are leaving.

No, you DON'T need trained teachers. Just people to sit as "monitors" and make sure that the students are safe while they are plugged into electronic "delivery systems" which are perfect at content delivery.

This is the entire idea.

It's literally the sole conclusion that I can come to regarding my attempts to get a look inside the "machine" at the Pearson division that we're within...

Let those rabble-rousers leave. They cause trouble, and slow down production.

sick

No, I'm really-- REALLY-- not a conspiracy theorist, but I'm deeply disturbed by Pearson's move away from print textbooks. They are taking over instructional delivery-- period. That IS their long-range plan.

I can corroborate that. Yesterday, I conducted a field interview with an afterschooling shop as market research, and the whole premise of the business model, modeled on Pearson, was to (in his words), "ensure that even the most mediocre teacher can deliver content". The organization had given up on paying for quality instructors because they hurt the bottom line. Eliminate the learned intermediary and districts are reliant on Pearson and other content providers to design whole curricula. Then, they'll devour whatever intellectual pablum the monopolistic content provider supplies.

It's nefarious--and surprising that ministries of education aren't foreseeing the inevitable plan by Pearson to breed dependency then jack up prices. This isn't the cost-saving panacea some administrators believe it to be. E-delivery is the ARM of the education market.

What is to give light must endure burning.