Originally Posted by Portia
As we start our section on the circulatory system by request...

Mom, I don't want to do the notebook or all that other stuff (referring to the worksheets and cool experiments I pulled together). I just want to learn about how to heart works, how the blood gets nutrients and oxygen to the body, how oxygen changes the blood to red, how much oxygen is actually needed, how much oxygen is in blue blood, the different development types (referring to congenital heart diseases - we don't use the word developed wrongly here. Things develop differently.), and I want to SEE a surgery showing a heart pumping and maybe a valve replacement. I just want to know how all that actually works.

Yeah - what was Mom thinking pulling together activities when I should have just put together a fact board.

Have you heard of k/w/L charts.? Get a giant dry erase board and divide it into three columns labeled Know/ Want/Learned....so before you pull together materials ask him what he already knows about the topic, the heart in this case (even wrong information goes here and is okay) ...then ask what he wants to study about the topic... He lists all his questions and what he is curious about...then you pull together the you tube of the heart surgery and find sources for all the other information he is interested in or talk about what sources online are good and which ones aren't as reliable. Mayo clinic, Nemours,etc.

Then L is what did I learn....and here you can go back and correct misconceptions in the first column...

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary