Originally Posted by indigo
It is my understanding (and I may be wrong), that she also holds a doctorate degree, has taught at the university level, held a board position for a gifted organization, and has authored articles on gifted for nearly two decades.

Her doctorate (not yet completed) is in linguistics, which has as much to do with the topic at hand as my expertise in service oriented architecture topologies. She's an English professor... again, unrelated to the topic at hand. I believe I mentioned the gifted organization.

1) Yes, I presented Amy Chua's work in my first post in this thread.

Yes, you did. Was there a reason why you felt it necessary to say this?

2) You truncated my post above "... parents tend to know when they are hothousing their kids...", removing the following: "Some parents believe these are good approaches to keep their kiddo/s competitive... Some may believe hot-housing works..."

Yes, because in the name of brevity, I tend to cut out parts which I do not intend to address.

Bainbridge says hothousing is when you're teaching things that your child is not cognitively ready for, and Chua is saying she was teaching things her children were cognitively ready for. Therefore, by Bainbridge's definition, Chua was not hothousing.

I say this to highlight two things:

1) Bainbridge's definition isn't very useful.
2) Chua illustrates how little awareness parents often have that they're hothousing.