DD14 went as a zombie last weekend (or was going to-- not really sure, as this was with other friends and I wasn't there).

Tonight, she's working the little kids' Halloween party as a youth volunteer, so she needed a VERY non-scary costume for that, and something warm and comfortable enough to wear for a long time in damp 30-50F temps. So she is going as a Woodland Elf. She has a long panne velvet kirtle/bliaut that she has made (in olive green) and I made her a really neat white and cream hood that is decked out in a variety of natural-toned greens-- felted leaves, vines, and a few dark purple berry clusters, with blue campanula/harebell flowers that exactly match her eyes.

I also made knitted kirtle SLEEVES in cream with a gothic point that comes over the hand-- she can't really wear gloves/mittens because she needs the dexterity, but she'll be warmer with these on. They will also double as a way to keep her hands warm when she's playing the piano later.

She also has wire ear-cuffs with pointy elfin tops on them. A little hard to explain.

Her make-up will include a lot of glitter and green/gold tones to match the rest of it.

Why yes, I did hang out with professional stage costumers for many years. Why do you ask?

Last year, she was Rainbow Dash for this same event. Lots of polar fleece in rainbow colors, and a custom-made hat in pale blue, along with wings tacked onto a hooded sweatshirt. It was instantly recognizable and very very comfortable.

The challenge with these costumes is that she has to have GREAT (really, athletic) range of motion in them, and they have to be appealing and non-scary.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.