Originally Posted by bluemagic
... I did look at some web-sites describing Cornell Notes yesterday... My gut tells me what is really behind all this is that whenever he decides a subject is boring, he just tunes out.
On the other hand, Cornell notes may have been explained to him in a boring way, as a chore, drudgery, plus an opportunity to lower his grade. (I can feel the stress just from typing those words.)

With Cornell format, if the advantages are pointed out, sharing that it follows a pattern of how people may think, absorb, and process what they are learning, the notes can seem like a pretty friendly sounding board. By way of analogy, if there is something out-of-place around the house, I might point out the time-saving advantages of being able to find it quickly and in ready-to-use condition, if it is put away safely, now before it is forgotten.

Unfortunately, knowing someone else will be reading his notes, and creating one's notes as performance art wink may get the focus in the wrong the place... it may become a focus on placating the teacher rather than an account of one's own learning, including struggles with questions and seeking other resources. A kid can feel vulnerable knowing a veritable stranger is observing his written thought process. This is different than a supportive parent critiquing their DC's work.

Because you have already invested time in researching the Cornell format, and if he is open to it, you may wish to read his notes and provide coaching. This may help take the sting out of it, boost his interest and confidence in the Cornell format, and offset any negative thoughts which may be contributing to his resistance of giving the format a good work out.

In summary, you may wish to try to point out the advantages, see if the Cornell format may seem more natural to him then, review/critique/encourage his notes, and commiserate regarding having someone else read and possibly grade his notes.