Originally Posted by HKR
Hi - I've seen a bit of research about skipping years, which suggested it is usually beneficial for a gifted child. I am thinking of this for my daughter who has been working at much higher levels than her classmates for a couple of years. It would mean skipping the last year of primamry and going stright to intermediate.
You may be aware of the Iowa Acceleration Scale, a tool used to assess likelihood for successful acceleration? It is found many places online, and recently another parent posted that she was able to locate it through interlibrary loan. Here is one link- http://www.greatpotentialpress.com/iowa-acceleration-scale-3rd-edition-complete-kit.

You may also be aware of the practice of having a child taking the end-of-term tests to ensure proper academic placement? Some find certain grades easier to skip than others. This depends on what curriculum is covered, what the child already knows, and whether there may be any gaps to be addressed.
Originally Posted by HKR
My concern is that she is struggling socially at the moment, and what if there is a load of teasing due to her having skipped a year. Has anyone else done this?
Teasing which rises to the definition of bullying and occurs at school may be dealt with by the school authorities. I've only heard of a few such cases and these were from students who felt they were losing status as #1 after the introduction of the new gifted pupil. Many report that others quickly forget about any age difference and accept the pupil as they would any other same-age classmate.