Before I begin I want to say that this is a longer post than I intended but maybe it will help others with what I have "learned" from my quirky child. And then again you might think I am full of hot air and need to shut up. If that's the case I am sorry you feel that way. I don't normally expound on my opinions this way or this much.

Mana you will make it through this! And so will she! Maybe with a few tears and lots of hugs but you will make it. I gave up early on deciding what was "normal" development and started thinking, "What does my daughter need to get through this and learn to cope." The change in my thinking has helped a great deal. I recently heard a statement from one of the Hansen Brothers (remember that song MMMBop) that said normal is just and average of abnormal. I liked that statement because no child is really "normal," and that leaves a lot of room on either side for variety. And variety is beautiful, even if it can also be scary for little ones who aren't sure how to handle it.

This is a quirky thing but also goes along with what you have said. When DD was a baby she did not sleep well (still doesn't), hence neither did I. One thing I had to do with her is take a wet wash cloth and rub her forehead with it to settle her down but she found her own coping mechanism that I still don't quite understand. The head board of her crib padding had this Pooh Bear on it. The head was kind of a pop-out plush thing. DD was about 6 months old when she started reaching for the ears of the pooh bear and rubbing them between her fingers to put herself to sleep. We started calling them "her ears." She slept with those up until about 2nd grade where they went to be washed and didn't come back and she never really notice. But when she was a toddler and going to daycare I had to make sure they went with her because she would not take naps without them. I remember several times being called back to daycare to bring "her ears" because we forgot them. She would also use them to calm herself when she was anxious about something. She no longer needs them and at her age I do not feel it would be appropriate for her to take them with her but she does need to find something that will work for her later in life, which is why she is now in counseling.

She still has the over sensitivities to certain clothing, loud noises, crowded or chaotic spaces, perfectionism, and different textures in food. But those over sensitivities also give her an amazing connection to music, reading, and learning. There is a positive side to the intensities.

I guess the point I am trying to make is a child is unique in what makes them tick and as with any child, gifted or not, we have to teach them how to cope in this ever changing world and sometimes the best thing we can teach them is how to be adaptable.

Okay I am climbing down off of my little stage and slinking off. I am not sure where all that came from but I think maybe you can all understand...LOL. It's been one of those weeks for me and I am constantly reminding myself to breath and we will all get through this.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor