I'm an English teacher and I faced the new grading programs we were forced into every few years with trepidation. I think it's very likely the teacher didn't anticipate this effect and hopefully gentle advocacy can help him reconsider. It's also possible there will be a big assignment in maps in the second quarter. Honestly, no one ever really taught me how to manage grades. I had to try to be fair but you don't always know what to anticipate, and you have to have things all laid out in August--tricky! I did try to match time/effort with weight and actually the percentages helped a LOT because I knew that kids could affect their grades and I didn't have to play with numbers of points ridiculously. I knew that final test would be worth something, instead of letting a kid who turned in average homework always coast through without demonstrating certain key skills were mastered. Respectful discussion calling this to his attention and asking about future assignments might do the trick. And a kid bringing it up might help him save face and start thinking and then he could present it in a letter home... yeah. Good luck!