I concur, Indigo.

That kind of "redo" policy drives me batty.

Also the sorts of policies where kids who are 90% and up get no "extra credit" opportunities.

It may well be something about social studies in particular, frankly-- this is the area where DD and I have had the most angst through middle and high school. The teachers seriously don't seem to understand some of the quirky-- frankly INSANE-- things that these all-up-front, category weighted gradebooks can lead to. And if you try to point it out, they (truly) don't understand how the math works.

No way is it pedagogically defensible that a two page essay on a final exam has less impact on a student's graded performance than a single sentence during a class bulletin board discussion. But we've seen that kind of thing happen.

Sometimes a total throwaway assignment (frankly) is worth MORE than major assessments. That's what I mean by "pedagogically indefensible" by the way-- not what Colinsmum is addressing, but the distribution to begin with. That's like basing an advanced algebra grade mostly on proper selection of variables on a particular homework set. While it may be there in black and white on the gradebook/rubric right from the start, the larger problem is... is that REALLY what they intend for the course grade to be about?? crazy

And really, how anyone can be confused about "My grade in this course is an A and not an A+ because I earned 9/10 on this rubric-based thing which was INTENDED to be a ten-minute assignment... and I have otherwise got a 99% in this course"??

But that was the point at which I encouraged DD to just stop worrying about it if her grade was still being averaged into her GPA as an A. Because the answer, apparently, was that she should be "proud of her exceptional performance-- an A is extraordinary in an honors course in light of her age." She had taken the term project and turned in a veritable COLLEGE level paper and presentation on the subject, which was one no other student chose (because of the challenge of locating primary source material). She offered to do an essay on any topic of his choosing-- for the ONE extra credit point she needed in the class.

The answer was still no. (Though this same teacher allowed "retakes" of exams for failing students and marginal ones.)

Oh, also reiterating that this kind of silliness can be completely irrational, but it is always better if students manage the approach themselves. (At the high school level, I mean.)

Good luck. DD has had the most luck with "I'm concerned that {assignment/category] isn't representative of my mastery of the course materials."

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.