Okay-- so. German. DD is applying to some pretty elite colleges (Stanford, MIT, HMC, etc.) and she MUST-must-must-must have foreign language. Not 'dabbling' a year here in one, a year there in another.

She's got over a year of German at this point, and we were set for her to take a second. In fact, we made arrangements for better off-line support in this course already (since 32 hours a year didn't seem like adequate instruction to us)...

but now the school does not have a teacher for this class at all. frown

Options:

a) see what the school comes up with-- though for another student we know enrolled in German I this year, it was apparently "take Digital photography. And ASL. Again."

b) try to get the school to pay for college enrollment-- at local University. (Unlikely, let's just say-- extremely so, in my opinion after nearly a decade with them. The second major problem is that with classes still 6 weeks away-- all that DD can get is a seat on a waiting list for ANY foreign language there).

c) Independent study(???) Obviously this won't be on her transcripts. eek I wonder how much that will matter. But there is no way around the fact that she has NO means of having TWO years of the same foreign language on them at this point. She's taken different languages (if you count ASL), but not more than a year.

d) SAT II subject after independent study.

e) CLEP after independent study.

What would you do-- and why?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.