Thanks so much for sharing this. My dd is now 13.5yo, and hyperlexia was a consideration when she was younger. She had an intense interest in reading from a very early age and had it mastered by about 25 months old. She also had some personality quirks which could make one wonder about autism. We had one friend who tried to stage an intervention to make us get dd evaluated for autism when she was 2yo. We didn't agree, and since our pediatrician sided with us, we blew off the friend (Awkward!!). But we were told back then that hyperlexia=autism so I am so glad to see they are now distinguishing different types of hyperlexia, some without autism, because "hyperlexic" is a great description of my book-obsessed dd when she was 2yo.

Dd now has a lovely, outgoing personality and no one tells us she's autistic any more. She is still an obsessive and lightening fast reader - books are a complete joy in her life (except when asked to analyze one to death by an English teacher). I am sooo glad we never let anyone try to diagnose her love of books as a disorder....