Educational software may advance so that computers can read students' expressions in the way that good teachers do:

http://www.joannejacobs.com/2013/07/confused-your-computer-can-sense-it/
Confused? Your computer can sense it
JULY 15, 2013
BY Joanne Jacobs

Computers can monitor students’ facial expressions and evaluate their engagement or frustration, according to North Carolina State researchers. That could help teachers track students’ understanding in real time, notes MIT Technology Review.

Perhaps it could even help massively open online courses (or MOOCs), which can involve many thousands of students working remotely, to be more attuned to students’ needs. It also hints at what could prove to be a broader revolution in the application of emotion-sensing technology. Computers and other devices that identify and respond to emotion—a field of research known as “affective computing”—are starting to emerge from academia. They sense emotion in various ways; some measure skin conductance, while others assess voice tone or facial expressions.

The NC State experiment involved college students who were using JavaTutor software to learn to write code. The monitoring software’s conclusions about students’ state of mind matched their self reports closely. “Udacity and Coursera have on the order of a million students, and I imagine some fraction of them could be persuaded to turn their webcams on,” says Jacob Whitehill, who works at Emotient, a startup exploring commercial uses of affective computing. “I think you would learn a lot about what parts of a lecture are working and what parts are not, and where students are getting confused.”

Computers can play chess, drive cars, answer Jeopardy questions, and do lots of other complicated things better than humans can. In the long run I think they will teach many subjects better.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell