Originally Posted by Val
This isn't a flipped classroom. Mazur teaches interactively, which is entirely different from the flipped model being discussed here. For the sake of precision, "flipped" here as defined in that link I used has means "students watch videos at home and do homework in class."

That isn't very precise, though. If 99% of the lectures are watched in video format at home, but one day the teacher lectures in class... is that not flipped? I would consider any classroom to be flipped if the majority of lecture-style concept explanations are experienced at home. As you can probably tell, I don't think it matters specifically how that exposure happens. If teachers usually use books, video recordings, audio recordings, or even interactive software to facilitate the initial explanation of a topic at home, and then help students work through their understanding in class later... that's flipped to me.

Originally Posted by Val
College students. This discussion is about the perils of using this model in a K-12 environment, which is very different from college students. They're more mature (executive function) and have chosen to be there.

To be fair, not all college students have a choice about being there, but I appreciate the differences. Also, in the OP it was not clear that this discussion was to be constrained to k-12.

Originally Posted by Val
This is a blog post and not a peer-reviewed article. And the author admits the following very serious shortcomings:

"First, no statistician will take our results particularly seriously, and they shouldn’t. The sample size is too small to attribute any real significance to the findings. Secondly, the pilot was very brief, lasting only five weeks, or twenty-four class sessions of two hours each."

I'm a scientist. I know that stuff that can look so good in a pilot experiment, yet be proven wrong when you do the real thing. This is just so common.

I don't know what the point of your post is. I feel it's a bit accusatory toward me, as though I somehow misrepresented the link I posted. I understand the shortcomings of the data, but it does speak to the idea that a flipped classroom is doomed from the start, which seems to be a popular opinion around these parts. Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression.

Last edited by DAD22; 07/10/13 02:14 PM. Reason: Definition of flipped classroom discussion