I have been holding out hope that the flipped classroom would be a great idea, and I do tend to agree with Dad22 on a lot of points.

There is nothing to say that every student must be doing the same "homework" in class -- of course, it will work out that way in many instances, where teachers don't want to have to help students on different chapters at the same time, and it will probably homogenize down to the lowest common denominator in the same way that everything else does in education.

But to my mind, a student could easily get ahead on the videos and do the "homework" from several chapters ahead in class while other students are working on earlier stuff. It would not have to bottleneck in the classroom the way the lectures do. Teacher can only give one lecture at a time, but can wander around the classroom and help with many different levels. The student who is far ahead will probably not need to be asking questions that would confuse the other kids, anyway.

In practice, of course, I can easily see it sticking right there, when the teacher says, "why don't you just wait until we catch up to there, as you're confusing the rest of the class", and kid ends up twiddling his thumbs for a month. That *should* be a motivation to find the answer somewhere else and get on with it, but for, say, my son, it would probably be a motivation to twiddle his thumbs.