Originally Posted by 22B
This flipped classroom concept seems like a very convenient way to shift the burden of teaching away from the teacher and onto the student.

Exactly.

It's an appropriate model for pretty capable students who have learning supports internalized or more broadly available to them as they go, but it's not a good idea for students who struggle already.

On the other hand, really great teachers have never struggled with that 'third way' identified up-thread-- the notion of not using up so darned MUCH class time with fluff/nonsense and therefore having plenty of time to: a) cover the material and b) ask students to use that material. But beyond a certain level you can't get it ALL into class time. I think that the problem is that with NCLB/CC testing-testing-testing mandates, this idea is going nowhere-- there IS no class time anymore for this idea or any other.

Originally Posted by MoN
I fear we will be doing away with teachers and get an emergence of "teaching assistants" who can supervise the work of students while the "teacher" is the person who assigns curriculum and supervises the assistants to make sure all is going right--like what has happened in healthcare and dentistry to a large extent.

YES. This is already happening, incidentally-- this is PRECISELY the model that virtual charter schools use. Parents are 'learning coaches' (Yeah right-- whatever-- we're the ones TEACHING our kids... and everyone who knows anything about the model knows that-- at most-- the "teachers" do about 25% of the 'teaching' for the vast, VAST majority of students... only kids like my DD find that extremely truncated instruction 'adequate' and that's because they are able to drink from the fire-hose once a week, basically.)

I do think that bringing the actual WORK of learning back into classrooms (rather than sending it all home) is a good idea. I do. But something gonna have to go to make room for it. Personally, I think that I'd like for it to be test prep.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.