Originally Posted by Dude
I wouldn't read too much into a mathy kid who hates geometry based on a particular delivery mechanism, because I knew a lot of kids who loved math but hated geometry for no better reason than because it was geometry.

Well, like I said, it was an anecdote and I seek more information here. I like 22B's observation about the need for balance, though.

The primary reasons for my suspicion about the effectiveness of this method are that:

1. Students can't raise their hands during a video lecture and say, "Wait, I didn't get that." Pressing the rewind button will not always work in this situation.

and

2. People seem to be jumping into this method without any solid evidence for its effectiveness.

I'm similarly skeptical of the effectiveness of online learning for the same reasons (especially #1). My son has done a year of online courses and almost all of them have required significant help from the scientist and engineer in the family. I'm not sure how kids who aren't surrounded by highly educated people can truly get a lot out of online courses as they're currently modeled (i.e. very little live instructor time).

If anyone knows of a decent research study, I'd love to see it. I just haven't found one in my admittedly quick searches.

Last edited by Val; 07/08/13 12:57 PM.