Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
My DD, in listening to a Liszt arrangement of Saint-Saens' Danse Macabre...

(she was referring to the extremely rapid-- twitchy, really-- arpeggio work in the left hand under the rapid-fire staccato all over the upper half of the keyboard in the middle of the work)

{admiringly} Sweet mother-of-god... how is that POSSIBLE?

{pauses, smiling slyly, uses evil villian voice...}

Der Regenbogenfisch kannst dir jetzt nicht hilfst!!

Okay, this requires an explanation of the German version of the Rainbow fish, which we've been toying with for weeks as DD studies for her German final... and how there are times when even the super-powers of the Rainbow Fish are insufficient to the... demands of the day. {ahem} This has become a running joke at our house lately. How one could... appeal... to the Rainbow Fish for help. In German, of course-- but that that Rainbow Fish is not likely to be useful in many more adult situations. Such as making Liszt's reach, which is in some places about a 12th in that piece. I think that Liszt and the Rach himself are the only human beings who really stand a chance...

She's very clever sometimes.

shocked A good example for the "non-gifted parent" thread I think!! I like how your 'explanation' is even more confusing than the original comment grin But I don't know anything about a) music or b) German so perhaps it's just me